Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Keep up with me. Let's get SKINNY!

I clearly remember a couple of years ago, my friend Brittany was in this “I want a tattoo and I want it now” phase. Myself, being the friend that’s always along for the ride, decided to ride with her and witness this whole situation. We were sitting in the parking lot googling “quotes” for her to tattoo down her ribcage; this wasn’t an easy task. We had to find something that wouldn’t sound stupid reading off of her body 30 years from now, but she also wanted something that she could relate to. After a few minutes, I came across this quote that simply said, “Life won’t wait.” Those words have stuck with me since that day, and they really have so much impact on how I feel about my weightloss journey I’m about to experience. Oh and by the way, Brittany did get the tattoo.

So my name is Kari, and I’m 25 years old. I haven’t always been a “big girl”. As a matter of fact, in high school, I was REALLY in shape. Sad thing is, back then…I thought I was huge. PSH, yeah right. I think we all look back at pictures sometimes and just WISH we looked that good now. But I played softball and volleyball in high school, so I was constantly active and constantly getting some kind of work out in.

Now let’s fast forward 6 ½ years. Now I have resorted to comfort eating, emotional eating, bored eating, tasty eating, sitting down at my desk all day long, and reality shows taking over my life. So needless to say, my body has completely gotten out of hand and I don’t even have any excuses anymore. I’ve completely ran out. So now it’s time to do something about it. One of my ultimate goals in life is to have a family of my own. I truly believe that you can’t be fully happy with someone else, until you’re happy with yourself.

So all of that being said, my weight loss journey is not going to start with a bad photo or tight clothes (althought those do play minor factors), it's actually starting off with a bad breakup. I know that sounds completely crazy and 99% of ya'll are going to be like, "REALLY!? Don't change for a man...", but that's not why I want to change. I want to take something negative that happened in my life and turn it into something positive. After all, I wasn't truly happy with myself in that relationship anyway. So I figured if I put my feelings and thoughts into something like bettering myself instead of how I can change a guy's feelings, maybe I can bring more happiness to my next relationship and to myself.

I know I'm capable of being the girl I want to be. But there's alot of things that have happened between 18 year old me and 25 year old me that have caused my confidence to almost go completely down the drain. I actually recall a night at the bar a few years ago, and a fairly attractive guy told me that I "have a pretty face". Talk about an eye opener. However, I got on the scale one day during college not long after that, and realized "WOW. I've GOT to do something, and I've got to do something fast." I was at 200 pounds and it really freaked me out. As traumatizing as it was to see those numbers on the scale, I still didn't really do anything about it. I crash dieted every now and then, got on diet pills, got off, then gained it all back plus some. Nothing ever seemed to work, so I was always starting back at square 1. The painful realization was that I was a 21 year old girl who had packed on fifty pounds since graduating high school. I had no idea what healthy eating even was. For me, a normal meal was my roommates and I riding across the street to the delicious Mexican restaurant that we could never get enough of, salivating over chips, salsa and queso then still having enough room for a three course meal.

So as tough as this is going to be, I'm going to make a promise to myself to do this the right way and shed these pounds so I can finally be myself and be comfortable in my own skin. I read on someone's blog a few days ago that said, "Weight loss has ups and downs, tears and cheers, beliefs and doubts" and that couldn't be more believable. Like I mentioned before, I LOVE FOOD but...nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, right?!

So follow me and my journey and I promise to you guys that I will update this frequently, post pictures, and tell you stories. We can be friends as long as you can keep up :) And remember...LIFE WON'T WAIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment